London Police move in to disperse protesters at a 'We Do Not Consent!' mass rally against vaccination and government restrictions designed to fight the spread of the novel coronavirus, including the wearing of masks and taking tests for the virus in Trafalgar Square, London, Sept. 26, 2020, (AFP Photo)

The ex-wife of a police officer has described in chilling detail how his force protected him from prosecution after suffering years of physical and sexual abuse at his hands.

She said the scandal of police inaction over early allegations against killer PC Wayne Couzens has brought back the nightmare of her own futile fight for justice more than 10 years ago.

On Friday, Couzens admitted murdering Sarah Everard, 33, as she walked home through south London in March this year in a case that shocked the country and prompted widescale protests about women’s safety.

The parliamentary and diplomatic protection officer, who earlier admitted to kidnapping and raping Ms Everard, was not probed further over three separate indecent exposure complaints dating back to 2015 and February this year.

Separately, Freya – not her real name – said she married her policeman boyfriend partly because she believed he would protect her, but the reality was very different.

She claimed he hit her repeatedly in angry outbursts and when she first complained to the police, after he threatened her with a knife, she was astonished at the reaction.

Freya told Sky News: “Two officers came to the house and did little more than tell him to go for a long walk to calm down.

“I was traumatised, but I don’t remember them talking to me at all.”

She later told his boss about the continuing abuse but was urged not to leave her husband, and a later visit from two officers from the force’s domestic abuse unit resulted in no action.

When she filed for divorce her husband raped her, she said, and even when she reported it to police nothing was done.

Freya said: “One officer told me I shouldn’t make such allegations because it would bring the police service into disrepute. I felt quite threatened.

“When police interviewed my son, who told them his dad had tried to strangle him, I wasn’t allowed into the interview.

“When they said eventually I could have a copy of the tape they asked me to pay for it.”